a newly introduced bariatric surgery method in south africa
- This surgery is performed through a gastroscopy.
- It is a day procedure with a 5 day recovery period post-surgery.
- It is considered a very safe procedure.
- The anticipated weight-loss is 10-15% of body mass.
- The full dietary, psychological and medical workup as per other bariatric surgeries is still necessary in order to ensure the correct and sustainable lifestyle change post-surgery.
- The only centre in South Africa that currently performs this surgery is CEMMS Waterfall City.
- As this is a fairly new surgery method; there is no long term outcome data available.
- The gastric plication is not currently being paid for by medical aids, however private payment is accepted. The price of the surgery is available upon request through contacting CEMMS Waterfall City.